Mr. McCartin represents businesses and individuals in all phases of complex civil litigation, including commercial litigation, labor and employment matters, regulatory matters, and administrative actions. Mr. McCartin represents clients in state and federal courts in Maryland and the District of Columbia, as well as in other administrative and alternative dispute resolution forums.
- Representation of several executives of a public company in a shareholder derivative lawsuit.
- Representation of businesses in disputes concerning business torts, including misappropriation of trade secrets, unfair competition, and partnership disputes.
Securities Litigation and Enforcement
- Representation of Maryland Corporation in a landmark FINRA arbitration, which secured an $80.8 million arbitration award on behalf of client.
- Representation of financial services professionals and firms in SEC and FINRA investigations relating to potential securities fraud.
- Representation of investment advisers in investigations by the Securities Division of Maryland Attorney General’s office.
- Representation of private equity fund advisers in an SEC investigation concerning fiduciary issues related to fund fee allocations.
- Representation of institutional consultants in federal court TRO proceeding concerning alleged violations of non-solicitation agreements and Protocol for Broker Recruiting and follow-on FINRA arbitration concerning same allegations.
Labor & Employment Litigation
- Representation of Maryland Corporation enforcing non-compete agreement.
- Representation of employees appealing workplace discipline before the D.C. Office of Employee Appeals and other administrative agencies.
- Representation of client in two-week jury trial in the D.C. Superior Court, which resulted in a jury verdict in favor of client under the Whistleblower Protection Act.
- Representation of client in First Amendment action brought in the U.S. District Court for the District of Columbia; Hawkins v. District of Columbia, 923 F.Supp.2d 128 (D.C. 2013).
- Representation of title insurer in appeal in the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit.
- Representation of client in the Maryland Court of Special Appeals that sought to overturn a defense verdict obtained for client.