Ms. Kon defends business executives, financial services professionals, and financial services firms in SEC and/or FINRA investigations relating to allegations of securities and accounting fraud. Ms. Kon also has a general civil litigation practice, and represents clients in all types of civil litigation, including corporate, securities, and commercial litigation and administrative actions.
Securities Litigation and Enforcement
- Defending a senior U.S. investment banker in parallel SEC and DOJ investigations concerning potential FCPA violations arising out of Asian operations.
- Defending a trader in an SEC administrative action concerning allegations of fraud and alleged violations of Reg SHO and Exchange Act Rule 10b-21.
- Defending a CEO of a private company in a civil enforcement action brought by the SEC alleging accounting fraud.
- Defending an investment adviser in an investigation by the Securities Division of Maryland Attorney General’s Office
- Defending a financial services professional in parallel SEC and FINRA investigations of an alleged Ponzi scheme.
- Defending several executives of a public company in a shareholder derivative lawsuit.
- Representing businesses in disputes concerning business torts, including misappropriation of trade secrets, unfair competition, and patent infringement.
- Representing a large provider of supplemental education services in litigation involving trademark infringement and unfair competition.
- Obtained summary judgment in favor of franchisor seeking collection of over $200,000.00 in royalty payments.
- Successfully defended a franchisor accused of fraudulently inducing franchisee into purchasing franchise.
- Obtained a substantial financial settlement on behalf of franchisor who brought suit against former franchisees accused of stealing customer information to start a competing business.
Real Estate Litigation
- Representing homeowners in a certified class action in federal court claiming violations of the RESPA (Real Estate Settlement and Procedures Act).
Estates and Trusts Litigation
- Represented clients challenging wills in contested proceedings before the Maryland’s Orphan’s Court and Circuit Court.